Verse of the Day

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Under Construction: A New Computer

The old Gateway we bought in 2000 has served us quite well. But let's face it - she's starting to show signs of becoming obsolete. Just for fun I went to Gateway's site to see what the trade-in value would be. Zero.

Over the years, I've done some modifications to the old machine. I've added RAM, an Ethernet card, and some USB ports and I've had to replace a DVD-ROM drive. Recently, as I was replacing the power supply (the fan had become excruciatingly loud), it hit me. Why don't I build my next PC? I could put in whatever components I want, make it as fast and powerful as necessary, build it in stages over time as my budget allows, and build it for less money than I could for a pre-built model that wasn't as nice.

I did some research over the web and found a wonderful guide to building your own computer.

At this point I've started gathering the components for my new computer. And just for fun, I've added a "progress report" in the side bar of this blog showing where I'm at. I think this shall be fun.

No comments: