Verse of the Day

Sunday, March 4, 2007

Call to Discipleship

I have a friend at church whom I don't always see eye-to-eye with. And I'm sure I annoy her at least as often (if not more) than she annoys me. Yet while I don't always agree with her (and I choose to agree to disagree), we have some really profound spiritual moments together.


She has had some real struggles with her health for the last several years, not the least being the breast cancer which started her whole struggle in the first place. I saw her today as she was walking by, and since I hadn't seen her for a couple of weeks (when I'm sure I annoyed her last), I motioned for her to come give me a hug.

Turns out she really needed that hug, the kind that says, "I'm so grateful for this safe, comfortable place because I'm not okay." She just found out that her cancer is back. As we held each other much longer than your typical casual hug, her tears flowed and she shared how she dreaded the stuggle. She said she was tired of fighting. "I know you are, honey," was the only response I had. It was the only response appropriate for that moment. I think it spoke volumes.

So today was obviously one of our profound spiritual moments together. So pray for my friend.

No comments: