Verse of the Day

Thursday, April 12, 2007

The Don Imus Scandal: Can We All Just Move Ahead?

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked him, "Lord, how often do I have to forgive a believer who wrongs me? Seven times?" Jesus answered him, "I tell you, not just seven times, but seventy times seven." Matthew 18:21-22

Let's face it. When Don Imus made his derogatory remarks about the Rutgers women's basketball team last week, he was an idiot. His comments were unacceptable. Period. And I think it was right for his radio show to be suspended. And I think it was perfecly alright for Rev. Al Sharpton and Rev. Jesse Jackson to call Imus out.

I've never heard Don Imus' show. In fact, I never even heard of Don Imus until this whole thing came out. I don't know anything of his character or his beliefs. I have heard a recording of the comments he made on the infamous broadcast, and I agree they were distasteful as they were polorizing.

I also know that Don Imus has apologized profusely for his comments and has thrown himself at the mercy of the public, those he directly offended, and his staunchest critics. Don Imus has figuratively nailed himself to a cross for his offense. Which is more than anyone can say for former Arizona governor Evan Mecham, a horse's ass who made similar racial slurs on a daily basis without apology.

And now Imus has been fired. That is certainly the perogative of his employers; the loss of listeners and sponsors is probably enough to justify Imus' termination.

But is that enough to make the likes of Sharpton and Jackson happy?

To these Christian leaders, I would ask now that they step up to their faith. Imus has apologized enough already. Are they willing to forgive? And if you forgive seventy times seven, have you really forgiven the first 489 times?

No comments: