Verse of the Day

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Taking A Stand: Embryonic Stem Cell Research

"...and because I consider all your precepts right, I hate every wrong path. Your statutes are wonderful; therefore I obey them." Psalm 119: 128-129

"If this bill were to become law, American taxpayers would for the first time in our history be compelled to support the deliberate destruction of human embryos." President George W. Bush

"Unfortunately, because of the stubbornness of one man — President Bush — these people continue to suffer as they wait" Diana DeGette, D-Colorado

As maligned as our president is these days, George Bush has done something to remind me why I admire him and why I voted for him. He stood up against Federal funding of embryonic stem cell research, further supporting his assertion that this legislation "crosses a moral line that I and many others find troubling." I can't agree more.

In cases of rape, incest, or danger to the mother's health, I agree that abortion may be the only option. But otherwise it is immoral. Period. There is nothing you can say or show me that would justify it - not even the harvesting of embryonic stem cells.

"A woman should have the right to control her own body," is something I've heard argued, and I totally agree. With all the preventative measures out there - for both women and men, there's really very little excuse for an unplanned pregnancy. The problem these days is that too many people are not willing and able to take responsibility for their own actions. And parenting a child is an immense responsibility.

Another concern is that the harvesting of embryonic stem cells could encourage some women to get pregnant for the sole purpose of providing stem cells. They would essentially prostitute themselves to the health care industry who in turn would likely pay them as little as possible.

Stem cell research does not require embryonic stem cells. Just as it is no longer necessary to kill a rabbit to determine a pregnancy, it is also not necessary to terminate a human life to harvest stem cells. Duh! There is plenty of material out there. Embryonic stem cell research is just another way to justify abortion.

Stem cells offer us hope to potentially cure many dreaded diseases. I'm all for that. But stem cells do not have to be embryonic.

I have one of those dreaded diseases myself. I have type-II diabetes. I expect it will be my ticket to heaven sooner or later. So what? Even Lazarus - whom Jesus raised from the dead - eventually died again. We all die, and stem cell research isn't going to change that.

Too many people have already sacrificed their lives for my physical needs and my freedom. Indeed, Jesus sacrificed his life for my very soul.

Personally, if it ever becomes practice, I will ensure any medical directive of mine clearly states that I will not allow the life of a human embryo to be sacrificed in order to save mine. If such measures are taken against my wishes, then those medical personnel better hope it doesn't work. Because when I get better, I will sue the crap out of them.

Do you think President Bush is being stubborn? Do you think I am being stubborn? Fine. But know this - some things are right and true whether you believe in them or not. I've made my stand.

No comments: