Verse of the Day

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Vinyl Goes Digital

Thomas Edison once invented a machine called a phonograph (also known as a record player or turntable) on which one would listen a vinyl disc called a record. A record could be a single song or a collection of songs (called an album - a term still used today). Actually a single consisted of two songs as - unlike compact discs - records are playable on both sides. I don't think my grandchildren are even aware of these precious antiques.
The phonograph forever changed the way we listened to music, just as the printing press changed how we communicate the written word. In my generation, the phonograph was in its heyday. It wasn't until the advent of the compact disc that the phonograph met its demise - along with the cassette player.
So what about all those vinyl records? Are lost forever in the dust? Nay, nay! The turntable is making a big comeback - as a device that connects to your computer and converts your vinyl recordings into mp3 files.
Between my wife and myself (hey, she's older) we have a pretty extensive record collection. This turntable also has an input for tape players - and that collection is even more extensive.
So now I'm enjoying a bit of nostalgia this weekend by converting my collection of 45 rpm records (from about 30+ years ago) into mp3 files - complete with that slight scatchy noise associated with records. I plan to burn these into a CD (or CD set) aptly entitled Paul's 45's. It's been so long since I've played these that on some I've forgotten which was the hit single and which was the flip side. Sometimes I've forgotten them altogether!
Well, as my wife once said to her father: "That's the great thing about getting old - there's no reruns!" This will be a nice nostalgic weekend for me as my vinyl goes digital.

No comments: