Verse of the Day

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Reflections: Ted Kennedy

I must admit, I have very little love for Senator Ted Kennedy (D-Mass.). This week, Kennedy was diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor. That will be a struggle. No doubt he will get the best medical treatment that money can buy. No doubt he won't have to pay a dime for it. He probably doesn't have to hassle with insurance companies, or be concerned whether his treatment is in-network or out-of-network. Meanwhile, the rest of us do.
Kennedy is considered a giant in the US Senate. I'm not sure if that's a compliment or insult when you consider that Congress has an appalling 18.7% approval rating right now. At least President Bush has a 30.5% rating. [source]
For someone who has championed civil rights, I'm disappointed that he has turned his back on the illegal immigration issue which is so prevalent here in the states bordering Mexico. He could have at least gotten his fat rump down here to see for himself. But no.
Kennedy has suffered back pain due to a plane crash in 1964. Of course, that pain extended into his neck after that little car crash in 1969. His passenger wasn't so lucky. She died. And Ted's presidential hopes fled as quickly as he fled from the scene of a fatal accident (one that possibly would not have been fatal if he stayed and helped the poor girl).
Despite my disdain for the Honorable Edward M. Kennedy, I don't wish him ill. This is a terrible illness he has to face. I've lost two friends to cancer just this year. My prayers are with him as well.

No comments: