Verse of the Day

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Politics - Yikes!

It is interesting to see that despite the deeply personal nature of politics, people are willing to openly share their opinions. When that happens, those who are listening tend to want to jump in with their own opinions. And when all parties don't agree, it tends to get a little heated.

With the presidential election coming in about 60 days, it is becoming increasingly difficult for me to avoid getting sucked into these conversations. I have pretty strong convictions as how to run the country, and I'm usually quite willing to share my views. That's why I like to blog. I can state my point of view in peace; you can read it and you can agree or disagree with it and I'm safe right here in my chair in front of the computer. Chicken.

Yesterday morning was a prime example of why I don't like to discuss politics with family and friends. As I do every Saturday morning, I was meeting with two other Christian men for breakfast where we discuss how our week went and pray for each other for the next week. Something related to the upcoming election came up and there was a disagreement. Fortunately we didn't go too far with it, but it was clear that we may be on different sides of the fence. Although a little awkward, we did change the subject and were able to move on.

Why we are on different sides of the fence is not important - as long as we are making an informed decision. And while my friend and I disagree on the point (which - funny thing - I don't remember what it was), I respect his viewpoint because I know - based on his knowledge and his experience - he has made an informed decision. Besides, who's to say who's right and who's wrong?

With the passing of my wife's uncle on Thursday, we will have a lot of family getting together. This is a family where the the political spectrum literally runs from the far left to the far right, and political discussions are common. This will be a difficult time. I think the safest thing for me to do is just smile and walk away.

Personally my mind is made up. Based on my own knowledge and research, and my own values, I have made my decision.

No comments: