Verse of the Day

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Pray for America

The purpose of this blog is to transmit what's on my mind and in my heart.

Lately with all the politics and the turmoil surrounding our crumbling economy, I haven't had a whole lot going on in my heart. I hadn't realized that until last night as I settled into bed after shooting out another political blog.

Frankly I'm concerned and even a little scared about what's happening. I am also very angry at those responsible for causing this mess.

So as I settled into bed last night, feeling sorry for myself, that small, still voice deep inside me spoke up and asked, "Have you prayed about this?" Have you prayed for your country?" Sadly, my answer was "no." That was my wake-up call.

We are facing what could be the most dire moment in our country's history during our lifetimes. More dire than Hurricanes Andrew, Ike, and Katrina. More dire than the floods that devastated the Midwest. More dire than the fires in California. Even more dire than September 11, 2001.

This is a disaster of our own doing, one that could have been prevented. There were those who warned us of this impending disaster. But the warnings went unheeded - even laughed off. We have been betrayed by the people whom we entrusted to lead us. Now that we are facing disaster, those we entrusted before cannot even agree on how to get us out of this.

It is this burden of adversity and uncertainty that I laid - and continue to lay - before God. "In God we Trust" is the motto proudly displayed on our currency. As a nation, the time certainly has come when we need to trust in God.

We need him now, more than ever. So please join with me - trust in God. And pray for America.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

In India the Bajrang Dal & VHP are front organisations of right-wing party are carrying out merciless attacks on Christians and destroying Churches. The secular parties of India are demanding a ban on these terrorist outfits. Incidentally, these organisations raise majority of their funds from America and other western nations.

Surprising is’nt it? Money from US, UK and Canada is used to kill humans and spread religious hatred and bring down Churches.

The western nations should ban these organisations - Bajrang Dal, RSS & VHP (World Hindu Council) and freeze their funding sources.

Paul said...

Thank you, Vetri, for your comment. Indeed all of our nations need prayer.

I know a couple who both happen to be pastors. Last year they went to India (by request of a pastor there) to see what it was like. Although religious discrimination and the caste system is officially illegal (nudge, nudge, wink, wink) it is still quite rampant there. And the persecution of Christians (and most - if not all - other non-Hindu) religions is fierce. Not unlike how blacks were treated here in the U.S. right up to the Civil Rights movement. It takes a lot of time and effort to rise above and beyond that kind of repression (there is still a bit of discrimination against blacks here in the U.S.).

Despite the adversity faced by Christians, many Indians have been liberated by coming to Christ. Oftentimes it is the only way the "untouchables" can rise above and beyond the caste system, and become successful individuals. Under the Hindu religion, they cannot do that due to their station in life.

I will remember India in my prayers, and pray that these Western nations will put a stop to this religious hatred.